The sweet cream cheese filling is used in the Czech Republic to fill sweet pastry such as „buchty“ or „kolache“. Quark (tvaroh) filling is very popular and easy to make.
To prepare the quark filling, use quark with more fat (in the Czech Republic, the fattiest quark contains about 10 % of fat).
Tvarohová náplň - Farmer’s cheese filling
- 16 oz (450 g) Farmer’s cheese or quark
- ⅔ cup (130 g) granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg white
- 2 Tbsp butter softened at room temperature
- pinch of salt
- raisins optional
- Take the Farmer´s cheese out of the fridge beforehand because it needs room temperature to use in a filling.
- Beat egg white with a pinch of salt until it forms stiff peaks.
- Mix well Farmer´s cheese and sugar. Incorporate yolk and softened butter.
- Carefully stir in whipped egg white.
- Spread the quark filling on the surface of the sweet pastry.
- If you fill smaller spaces (kolache, for instance), add the filling using a spatula first in a decorating bag and then spread it on the surface.
DISCLAIMER: Because I come from Central Europe, my recipes are based on metric units such as grams or milliliters. Check out how I convert metric units to the U.S. system:Conversion chart