Bramborové placky Czech Potato Flatbread
Do you want to try an easy Bohemian dish that is very popular in the Czech Republic? Then bramborové placky flatbread is just for you! This old traditional recipe has its place in Czech cuisine even today.
Servings 12 pieces
- 1 pound potatoes (450 g) about 5 pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (130 g)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons pork lard or vegetable oil such as sunflower or rapeseeds (Canola oil)
Cook the potatoes with the skin on in advance and leave them to cool. It takes 2-3 hours for the potatoes to cool completely, so plan ahead.
Peel the cooked, cooled potatoes and grate them finely. Add eggs, salt, and flour.
Work into a smooth dough with your hands. If the dough sticks too much, add a little flour but don't overdo it with its amount.
Cut the dough into roughly equal-sized pieces. Press each piece of dough with the cut sides into the flour slightly. Roll each into an oval pancake about 5 inches (12-15 cm) long, ¼ inch (0.5 cm) thick.
Bake in a frying pan in a little heated lard until golden brown on both sides. It takes about 1-2 minutes for each side.
- SERVING: Bramborové placky are best when still warm. Serve just like that or with a cup of white coffee. I sometimes spread fresh cheese on my kids' placky.
- In Moravia, the eastern part of the Czech Republic, these potato pancakes are served as a side dish with roast duck or goose.
- Do not let the finished dough sit for long; it will thin out over time.
- Work just enough flour into the dough so that it does not stick. The more flour, the stiffer the pancakes will be.
- The fried pancakes will gradually harden. This is because they do not contain fat. Count on it and eat the placky as soon as possible while they are still delightfully soft.
Calories: 93kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 0.3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 153mg | Potassium: 175mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 0.3g | Vitamin A: 21IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 1mg