Lettuce Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
This is a simple recipe for a refreshing salad with buttermilk dressing.
- 1 butterhead lettuce
- ¾ cup (180 ml) whole buttermilk in Czech kefír or podmáslí
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ Tbsp vinegar or freshly pressed lemon juice
Trim the lettuce into individual leaves. Remove wilted or rotten leaves. Wash each lettuce leaf thoroughly under running water. Leave to drain.
Mix buttermilk, salt, and vinegar in a bowl and whisk shortly.
Tear the lettuce leaves into bite-size pieces, place them in a bowl and pour the kefir dressing over them.
- Makes 2 portions.
- SERVING: This salad tastes best chilled; let it cool in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. For one person, arrange the salad leaves in one bowl and pour the flavored kefir over the salad. Serve as a side dish or as a light snack, or even dinner.
- This salad is especially suitable for hot summer days when it is perfectly refreshing.
- The main ingredient in this recipe is good quality buttermilk lettuce. If it is not freshly picked, remove the first layer of leaves, as they tend to be bitter. The inner leaves of the lettuce are the best tasting, as they also have the crunchiest texture.
- If you want the dressing to have a sharper taste, add a little ground pepper.