Maková Náplň - Czech Poppyseed Filling
Traditional Czech poppy filling for „buchty“ and „koláče“ and other sweet pastry.
- 1 ½ cup poppy seed (220 g) whole
- 1 cup milk (240 ml)
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100 g)
- ⅓ cup jam (110 g) any solid jam: eg, plum, strawberry, apricot
- ½ Tablespoon lemon zest freshly ground
If you have whole poppyseed, grind it first.
In a pot with a thick bottom, combine ground poppyseed and milk.
Bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir occasionally to prevent milk from burning. Add sugar, jam, and lemon zest.
Lower the heat and cook until the poppyseeds soften; it takes about 10 minutes. Don’t forget stirring.
When finished, transfer the poppyseed filling to a bowl, set it aside, and allow it to cool down completely.
- Makes about 1 ½ cup of filling.
- If you’re filling smaller spaces (for instance Czech kolache or kolacky), put the filling in a decorating bag first and spray it over the pastry.
- Make sure the filling cooled down completely before using it.
Calories: 1640kcal | Carbohydrates: 232g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 70g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 43g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 181mg | Potassium: 1495mg | Fiber: 31g | Sugar: 172g | Vitamin A: 397IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 2460mg | Iron: 15mg